Hit with pellets, teenager killed in Kupwara clashes

A class 7 student was killed in northern Kupwara district after he was hit by pellets fired by security forces during clashes in Mandigam village on Thursday evening, officials said. 

A senior police official confirmed the death of the teenager and said an “investigation will be carried out into the incident”. On the other hand, deputy commissioner KupwaraAnshulGarg also said that an investigation will be initiated into the killing on Friday.

“As security forces and the police were withdrawing from Mandigam in the evening, a group of youths started pelting stones at them. The security forces, in turn, fired pellets which hit a boy, leaving him critically injured,” local residents said.

The injured boy, identified as Owais Ahmad Mir, 13—a class 7 student—was immediately evacuated to district hospital Handwara, where doctors pronounced him “dead on arrival”, they said.

“The boy had suffered multiple pellet injuries, mostly on his chest,” said medical superintendent of district hospital Handwara, DrRouf.

Meanwhile, in Palhallan area of Baramulla district, at least 20 persons including 12 civilians and eight policemen were injured after clashes broke out between youths and the police on Thursday evening.

The injured included a woman, later identified as Raja Begum.

Local hospital authorities said one of the injured persons has received a bullet in his arm.

“20 injured persons including eight police were brought to sub-district hospital Pattan on Thursday evening. One of the injured has received a bullet in his arm. All injured are stable,” said DrMasrat, block medical officer Pattan.

According to reports, clashes broke out in the evening when security forces were about to withdraw from the poll-bound area.

“As soon as the police were about to withdraw from the area, a group of youth engaged police and paramilitary forces in intense stone-pelting clashes. The security forces fired teargas shells to disperse the protesters,” said a local police officer.

The clashes continued for several hours, during which few vehicles also suffered damage, local residents said.