TRAL GUNFIGHT|JeM commander Mudasir Khan laid to rest

A top Jaish-e-Mohammad commander Mudasir Khan alias ‘Muhammad Bhai’ was laid to rest at his native Midoora village in southern Tral township on Monday, day after he was killed in a gunfight with forces in nearby Pinglish village.

“Show me the face of my groom, I will greet him with candies and flowers,” Ameena, the mother of Mudasir, told mourners who had gathered in the village to bid adieu to the slain militant.

Local residents told Greater Kashmir that Mudasir’s body was charred beyond recognition and they had to hurriedly ensure completion of his last rites.

After four back-to-back rounds of funeral prayers, the slain militant was laid to rest at his ancestral graveyard.

Mudasir was killed along with his associate, who was identified by the army as Khalid from Pakistan.

The forces, according to local residents, used heavy mortars against the militants and razed a concrete residential house to the ground.

Earlier, the bodies of the two militants were taken to police station Tral, where some families of militants were called to identify them.

“I saw a few pieces of flesh but couldn’t identify the body of my son. A DNA testing team then took our samples and said the result would come in next two days,” Farooq Ahmed Khan, father of Mudasir, said earlier in the day.

Since his son became a militant, Khan said he was often called to a local army camp as well as an interrogation centre in Srinagar and police station Awantipora. He said the forces also raided his home and “harassed” him multiple times.

Tral, (Awantipora)He said the forces also raided his home and “harassed” him multiple times.

Mudasir (24) left his residence in January last year and joined the Jaish outfit.

Locals remember him as an ace cricketer.

“Due to his top cricketing skills, we called him David Warner. Mudasir was a down-to-earth person. He was repeatedly harassed by government forces which eventually forced him to pick up gun,” said a local resident.

A senior police official said in the past one year, several cordon-and-search operations were launched in Midoora and its adjoining villages to trace Mudasir.

To mourn his death, a complete shutdown was observed in Tral, even as authorities blocked the internet services in Awantipora police district for the second consecutive day.