GMC Anantnag medicos protest admin 'interference'; patients aghast

The medicos in Government Medical College (GMC) Anantnag Monday protested against the district administration for what they called “unnecessary interference” in the working of the institution.

Deputy Commissioner Anantnag K KSidha Sunday had sought action against 17 doctors of Maternity and Child Care Hospital (MCCH), an associated hospital of GMC Anantnag for remaining absent from duties.

However, the doctors said that all the medical and paramedical staff that was supposed to be on duty as per the roaster was present.

 To register their protest, a two-hour-long token strike was observed in GMC Anantnag.

The Medical Faculty Forum (MFF) termed the “interference” of the district administration as “unacceptable”.

“GMC Anantnag and the associated hospitals work 24×7 as per the daily roaster. Yesterday also every doctor was present as per the roaster,” read the statement on behalf on their President Dr Muhammad AltafWani.

He said unnecessary interference hampers the smooth functioning of the hospital and the patient care and would not be tolerated.

Doctors Association Kashmir, (DAK) General Secretary DrOvais Dar said it had become routine for the administration to suspend the doctors without taking into consideration their duty roaster.

“Our emergency and casualty works 24×7 and each doctor is supposed to attend the duties as per the roaster issued by the hospital administration,” Dar said.

Principal GMC AnantnagDrShowkatJeelani said that he had filed a factual report and submitted it to the government.

“It is unfortunate that a responsible official (DC) has pointed out that the doctors were not present, which is factually incorrect. It was Sunday off and everyone whose name was on the duty roaster was present,” he said.

Meanwhile, the patients who had turned up early morning at the hospital for treatment had to wait till the strike ended.

Agitated by the delay, their attendants held a protest against the doctors.

“We reached here at 9:30 am. It has been around two hours and there is no doctor in the OPD,” said a protester.