5 hospitalised after drinking 'poisonous' tea

Five persons, including three from a family in Tangmarg area were hospitalised on Tuesday after they were served tea mixed with some unknown “poisonous substance”, police said.

The incident occurred in Dobiwan village of northern Kashmir district of Baramulla when an elderly woman prepared the tea and inadvertently put some poisonous substance in before serving it. 

The five persons felt uneasy soon after drinking the tea and were immediately taken to a hospital in Magam from where they were shifted to Srinagar for specialised treatment.

They included three members of a family and two neighbours, identified as Abdul Gani Sofi, his wife Saja and their son Farooq Ahmad Sofi, Ghulam Qadir Waza and Ghulam Mohammad Wani, all residents of Itkoo Dobiwan.