Doctors confirm torture victim had developed renal failure

The army has denied hand in the torture of the man, Nasrulla Khan.

Srinagar, Publish Date: Feb 22 2018 12:46AM | Updated Date: Feb 22 2018 1:24AM
Doctors confirm torture victim had developed renal failureRepresentational Pic

Doctors have told an investigation team that a Kupwara man who had accused the army of torturing him in custody, had developed acute renal failure due to torture by the time he was brought to hospital.

The army has denied hand in the torture of the man, Nasrulla Khan.

A report submitted by the department of nephrology, SKIMS, Soura, before the State Human Rights Commission reads: “Nasrulla was brought to the hospital as a case of post torture rhabdomyolisis with acute renal failure. Patient was in a critical condition and was managed with multiple sessions of dialysis in addition to other medication. The patient was hospitalised for a period of 27 days.”

“The patient’s condition improved significantly. He was discharged with a serum creatine of 2.0 mg/dl. The patient after being discharged is following nephrology OPD and presently the patients’ kidney function has normalized,” the report reads.

The report was submitted by the doctors after a petition was filed by International Forum for Justice and Human Rights chairman Ahsan Untoo.

Nasrulla was detained by the army at its Trehmukh camp in Lolab.

An FIR in this connection was lodged at police station Lalpora. 

According to the police report: “On 31 August 2017 police station Lalpora came to know that Nasrulla Khan has been brought from Trehmukh Behk by the villagers of Devsar in a very critical condition and has been taken to sub district hospital Sogam for treatment.”

The police had deputed assistant sub inspector Mushtaq Ahmad and head constable Muhammad Shafi of Lalpora to SDH Sogam to enquire into the matter. 

“During the enquiry it was revealed that Nasrulla had gone to the Trehmukh top, as usual, he preceded to army camp 27RR headed by Nishnat Gupta (sic),” it said.

“He was forcibly taken inside the camp and was wrongfully confined there and was so severely tortured with an intention to kill him,” the report of the police reads.

A special Investigation team headed by additional superintendent of police was constituted. 

“After a lot of correspondence and persuasions the concerned army authorities presented the accused/other army officers/ officials at the headquarters of 8 sector RR, Cherkoot Lolab, where they were questioned thoroughly by the SIT. They all denied their involvement in the case,” the report said.

The report said that despite requests the army unit has so far not presented before the SIT the entry/exit register of its Gate No 1, in which the torture victim’s name had been registered.

  • More in this Category
  • FMPHWs’ protest enters 22nd day

    FMPHWs’ protest enters 22nd day

    The ongoing protest of Jammu Kashmir Female Multipurpose Health Workers (JKFMPHWs) entered in its 22nd day, here on Monday.

This site uses cookies to deliver our services and to show you relevant news and ads. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service.That's Fine