Ladakh to get first varsity as SAC approves 'Jammu and Kashmir University of Ladakh Bill-2018'

Ladakh to get first varsity as SAC approves 'Jammu and Kashmir University of Ladakh Bill-2018'

The Bill aims at setting up a University for entire Ladakh, as a Cluster University. It will get Rs 65 Crore from Government of India from the next academic session as initial grant.

The State Administrative Council (SAC) headed by Governor, Satya Pal Malik approved the Jammu and Kashmir University of Ladakh Bill, 2018.

The Bill aims at setting up a University for entire Ladakh, as a Cluster University. It will get Rs 65 Crore from Government of India from the next academic session as initial grant. 

The University will fulfil a long-standing demand of the people of Ladakh region, said an official handout.

The already functioning three degree colleges of Kargil district will be affiliated to the Cluster University of Ladakh with Degree College Leh constituting the lead college.  

All the new colleges to be set up in future in Ladakh region are envisaged to be constituents of/affiliated with the Cluster University of Ladakh.

There are five Degree Colleges functioning in Ladakh region, one each at Leh and Nobra in Leh district and one each at Kargil, Zanskar and Drass in Kargil district. All the five colleges are presently affiliated with the University of Kashmir.

“Ladakh region with a population of 2.75 lakh as per 2011 census has a student population of 40%. As per the rough estimates, around 90% of students from Ladakh have enrolled in different Universities across the country for studies and the remaining 10% study in Ladakh,” said the handout.