Our son was already in police custody, family alleges

Refuting the Delhi police claim that their son was nabbed on Thursday near Lal Quila red light, the family of Sajjad Ahmad Khan of Hundoora Tral alleged that he was “already in police custody for one month”.

“How is it possible that my son who is in police custody in Delhi for last one month was nabbed on Thursday near Lal Quila in Delhi?” asked his father Ghulam Nabi Khan.

“It is an absolute lie that my son was detained by police in Delhi on 21 March when the fact is that he is in their custody since 15 February. Police is cooking up a story to implicate my son in a fake case,” Khan told Greater Kashmir.

He said on 15 February his son along with six others “was detained by police in Delhi. While six of the detainees were released Sajjad was kept under detention.”

“Following his detention I reached Delhi and spent a month there. Every day, to have a glimpse of my beloved son, I went to special cell Lodhi Nagar but couldn’t see him. The police officers admitted that Sajjad was in their custody but did not give me a chance to meet him. They (police) assured me that he will be released soon but now he has been involved in a fake case,” Khan said.

Khan lost two of his sons, both militants, within a span of six months last year. Having no source of income, he said, they sent Sajjad to Delhi for selling shawls.

“We sent Sajjad to Delhi in January hoping he would be safe there and also earn for the family. We hardly imagined he too would be targeted,” Khan wept and said.

Sajad’s mother Fatima Banoo cried and said: “First I lost two sons and now my lone son, who is innocent, has been detained. His sin is that his two brothers were militants.”

According to police press release, on 21 March a specific information was received that one active cadre of Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) will be visiting area near Lal Quila red light.

A team was deployed near Lal Quila red light and Sajjad Ahmed Khan s/o Ghulam Nabi Khan of Handoora, Tral was nabbed. Sajad as per police statement was working with Jaish.

“Sajad was working with slain Jaish militant commander Mudasir Khan who instructed Sajjad to spot young Kashmiri youths for fidayeen attacks. Sajjad then motivated and recruited many local young boys in the outfit,” the statement said.

The statement adds: “On the day of Pulwama attack (14 Feb 2019), Mudasir had contacted Sajjad and informed that they have carried out CRPF convoy attack. Mudasir then sent him the video of Adil Dar (fidayeen), which he deleted from his phone. On the instructions of Mudasir, Sajjad moved to Delhi to establish a sleeper cell of JeM.”

On 14 February, a fidayeen attack on a CRPF convoy killed 40 CRPF personnel at Lethpora, Pulwama. On 10 March, Jaish commander Mudasir Khan along with another militant was also killed in a gunfight at Pinglish hamlet of Tral.