Sopore boy's killing: SHRC says Junaid's murder was planned

Sopore boy's killing: SHRC says Junaid's murder was planned

“Some arms and ammunitions were recovered and seized from the militant. Though, the investigation of the case is going on.”

While the police claims that Junaid Ahmad Khuroo, a 10th standard student from Kralteng Sopore killed in 2011, was a militant and had opened fire at CRPF at Arampora, the investigation wing of the State Human Rights Commission says the boy was not a militant.

Junaid was killed on June 29, 2011, and police in a report submitted before SHRC had stated, “During investigation it was revealed that one militant had opened fire at CRPF bunker and later took shelter in the local Masjid. When he couldn’t find any escape he shot himself with pistol. The deceased was identified as Junaid.”

“Some arms and ammunitions were recovered and seized from the militant. Though, the investigation of the case is going on.”

In 2013, the investigation wing of the SHRC carried out probe in the case and in its 15 page report revealed how ‘police planned the murder of Junaid.’

“The bare perusal of the CD file reveals that the subject (Junaid) has committed suicide by firing with the pistol on left side of his head above ear. The doctor has mentioned the entry wound on left side parietal region (5mmx3mm) and exit wound on right temporal region of skull (5cmx2cm).”

“The medical officer has opined the cause of death as cranial trauma leading to brain damage and excessive hemorrhage. Besides medical officer has filled in postmortem proforma wherein he has mentioned that there had been fractured skull in the temporal and parietal region. The cause of the death is massive brain damage due to fire arm injury which leads to massive brain damage. The time of death mentioned is approximately more than four hours.”

The medical officer, the report of the SHRC investigation wing reveals, has mentioned the time of death in the post mortem report at 3.30 PM while the first information report had been lodged at 12.10 hours.

“The investigation officer while in the injury memo has shown injury on left side of the head above ear and on right side in between eye and ear. Thus contradicting the injuries that is, fracture on the skull. The injury is a result of single bullet shot.”

“The medical officer was summoned and his statement recorded by the probe wing of commission. The officer had confessed that, “he never conducted postmortem and said he examined the dead body at SOG Camp, and not at Sub District Hospital (SDH) Sopore. The medical officer has just filled the columns of the postmortem report, but has not conducted the autopsy at all.”

But the police in their report had stated, “The body was taken to SDH Sopore where it was medically examined and later autopsy done.”

“During spot inspection it was found that Masjid is adjacent to the CRPF camp. The location of the camp is such that there is no fun to fire on the bunker from a pistol. The story of the police that the militant had taken a refuge in the adjacent Masjid because he couldn’t find an escape route is not justified because there is an escape route available to the militant that leads to Sopore-Watlab road as has been shown in the site plan.”

Junaid was preparing for 10th class exams as a private candidate and was also working as a runner at a medical shop. On June 29, he left his home at 09.30 am, the report says, to collect his roll number slip from government high school Baba Yousuf, Noor Bagh Sopore and at 12 in the afternoon his father was informed about his death.

During investigation it came to fore that the then SHO Sopore, inspector Gazanfar and SI Nissar Ahmad paid a prior visit to the residence of the Junaid on 22.06.2011 and directed his father to report to police station along with his son.”

“The duo went to police station on 23.06.2011 where the SHO warned the complainant that his son is a stone pelter,” the report states.