South Kashmir shut on third day to mourn killing of Zakir Musa

A complete shutdown was observed in South Kashmir districts on third straight day even as a dozen youth were detained in Anantnag district.

Mild protests and clashes were witnessed in several parts of Tral, Awantipora, Shopian, Anantnag, Kulgam and Pulwama areas. The pitched battles between youth and forces continued throughout the day.

All shops, business establishments, educational institutions, government and private offices remained closed and the public transport was also off the roads.

An official said that contingents of police and paramilitary troopers were deployed in “volatile” areas including Shopian, Pulwama, Kulgam, Tral and Anantnag.

During the day taranas were played in many mosques.

Dozens of youth including minors were detained in stone pelting cases in various parts of Anantnag.

Aabid Rashid Shah of Iqbal Abad  in Anantnag town was allegedly detained at police post Sherbagh. “My son was picked up outside his home while forces were chasing stone pelting youth. He is just 12 years old. We are desperate to see him. My wife has fallen unconscious. ,” said Abdul Rashid Shah.

Officials from District Child Protection Unit, Anantnag also reached the spot. But officials at police station Sherbagh denied that the boy had been picked up by them.

Despite repeated attempts no police officer was available for comment.

Zakir Musa, founder of Ansar Ghazwat-ul-Hind outfit, was killed by the security forces after a gunfight that lasted most of the night intervening Thursday and Friday in Dadsara village of Tral, Pulwama district.

A residential house also was damaged during the 12 hour long gunfight.

Hundreds of people continued to throng into the residences of slain militant and offered prayers for him. They also expressed sympathy and solidarity with his family

People also visited Dadsara, where gunfight took place on Thursday.

Mobile Internet service across South Kashmir districts remained suspended on the fourth consecutive day.