Tufail Matoo killing:Police registers case

Greater Kashmir

'Death mysterious, investigation under murder charges'

Srinagar, July 17: After 36 days, police finally filed a first information report in Tufail Ahmad Matoo’s killing and investigations have commenced in the case under murder charges.
 Terming Tufail’s death as mysterious, the Nowhatta police station in its FIR 45/2010 said on June 11 in a stone-pelting incident between police and youth, a constable Mushtaq Ahmad was injured.
 The FIR said with intent to kill Mushtaq, stone-pelters beat up him to pulp.
 “The stone-pelters tried to snatch his service rifle. Simultaneously, a boy was injured and taken to Shri Maharaja Hari Singh hospital where hospital authorities declared him brought dead,” the FIR said.
 “Since, police constable was injured in the jurisdiction of Maharaj Ganj police station, the location where the boy was hit by the shell was not ascertained,” the FIR said.
 “An FIR 70/2010 was registered in Maharaj Ganj police station under the charges of 307, 364, 392, 148, 149,338 RPC,” police said in its FIR. 
 However, the boy was later identified as Tufail Ahmad Mattoo son of Muhammad Ashraf of Saida Kadal, it said.
 Later during investigation Superintendent of Police North Showkat Hussain Shah said it was known to police that injured boy was taken from Gani Memorial stadium Rajouri Kadal in a Maruti car to SMHS hospital. “We located the driver of the car and from him we ascertained the location of the incident,” Showkat said.
 Quoting driver of the car, Showkat said Tufail was injured at Gani Memorial stadium and from there he (driver) took Tufail to hospital.
 “After ascertaining the incident on spot from the driver we lodged an FIR in Nowhatta police station as Gani Memorial stadium comes under its jurisdiction,” Showkat said.
 FIR quoting post-mortem report said Tufail was hit by high velocity projectile firearm, which caused his death.
 The FIR termed Tufail’s death as ‘mysterious’ said investigation has been initiated under 302 RPC.
 Showkat said appropriate legal action as warranted under law would be taken.
 On June 11, Tufail died in police action in Rajouri Kadal.
 Tufail was a student of 12th class at Government Higher Secondary School Hazratbal. He passed his matriculation from the Radiant Public School, Malla Bagh, Srinagar.
 Autopsy of the teenaged city youth had confirmed that he was killed by a teargas shell which damaged his brain and skull, belying the police claims that it was a case of “mysterious death.”
 On June 18, Tufail’s family had approached Chief Judicial Magistrate, Muhammad Ibrahim Wani with an application seeking registration of an FIR into the teenager’s killing.
 Subsequently, the CJM in his orders passed had directed the SSP Srinagar to pass appropriate orders for investigating the killing of Tufail by Police Station Nowhatta and submit the investigation report within 10 days. The CJM directed police to register FIR against the guilty cops under section 302.
 Earlier, the parents of Tufail had told the court that they approached Police station Nowhatta with a complaint related to his killing and urged concerned SHO to register FIR but he declined to entertain the complaint.
 On July 16, the court directed police to file a comprehensive report into the killing of Tufail by July 22, failing which SSP Srinagar will have to appear personally in the court.