Year after 76-year old killed by tear gas shell, police say 'probe going on'

Year after 76-year old killed by tear gas shell, police say 'probe going on'

‘CRPF Denying Details Of Personnel On Duty At The Time Of Incident’

Despite passing of a year since 76-year Ghulam Muhammad Khan was killed by a teargas at Ellahi Bagh here, the police admitted they are yet to get details of CRPF personnel who were on duty at the time of incident.

A communiqué of AIG Kulbir Singh addressed to Home department reads: “FIR No. 124/2016 U/S 307 RPC was registered in police station Soura and during investigation IO completed the basic legal/medico formalities.”

“On 17-11-2016 the injured succumbed to the injuries and offence U/S 302 RPC was added in the case. During investigation of case SHO PS Soura has taken up the matter with commandant 47 bn, 115 bn CRPF camp office Zakura and 82 bn CRPF Hafiz Bagh for providing details regarding in and out vehicle Nafri of their concerned units on the said date. However the requisite details are awaited. The investigation of the case is going on,” the communiqué reads.

The communiqué further states, “Matter was got verified and report obtained reveals that on 02-11-2016 one Fayaz Ahmad Khan S/o Ghulam Muhammad R/o Housing Colony Ellahi Bagh Soura lodged a written complaint in police station Soura to the effect that his old father was sitting in the park adjacent to their house, where some youths of the locality were also playing carom.”

“In the meantime, one Gypsy/Rakshak of the security forces was coming from Ellahi Bagh towards Soura viz 90 feet road. On reaching near the park, one of the security personnel fired tear gas shell towards the park, resulting in injury to his father. Later on the locals took his father to SKIMS Soura, Srinagar for medical treatment etc,” it adds.

Khan died on November 17 at SKIMS due to injuries caused by a teargas canister that hit his head. 

His son Fayaz has been running from pillar to post to seek justice for his father.

He said police have filed an FIR but they are yet to book culprits. “My father was not a stone thrower or a protester. He was an aged man who was murdered by the forces in cold blood. Despite knowing all the facts, the police have not taken any action against the forces personnel involved in his killing,” said Fayaz.