Protests, Shutdown; Youth Injured In Firing
Islamabad, June 4: Following violent protests in this town over the surfacing of a pornographic CD, police today registered another case against a photographer, considered very close to Territorial Army, allegedly involved in the racket and has constituted an investigating team. A youth was critically injured when a rubber bullet fired by CRPF men hit his head during protests late in the evening.
A complete shutdown was observed in this town against the racket and the alleged cover-up by the police. Shops, business establishments, educational institutions were closed and streets wore a deserted look.
Police and paramilitary troopers were deployed in every nook and corner of the town and severe restrictions were put in place.
Locals alleged that the police and CRPF personnel thrashed several pedestrians. “They didn’t even spare children and old and severely thrashed them with gun butts and bamboo sticks,” alleged the residents of Sadiqabad.
Despite restrictions, youth took to streets and pelted stones on troopers at various places including the civil lines area of KP Road which otherwise remains peaceful.
Police retaliated by baton charge and resorted to tear gas shelling, the ding-dong battles continued throughout the day.
Later in the evening when the restrictions were eased, heavy stone pelting was reported from Lal Chowk, Reeshi Bazar, Malakh Nag, Cheeni Chowk, Dangerpora, Mattan Chowk, Kadipora and Laizbal. Several people including police personnel were injured in the ensuing clashes.
One Muddasir Ahmad S/O Rafiq Ahmad Wagay of Donipawa was hit by a CRPF rubber bullet in the head at Malaknag late in the evening. He was referred to SMHS Srinagar in a very critical condition.
In retaliation, protesters razed to ground the house of one of the accused in the racket at Malaknag.
People made announcements from masjids and protested the against the CRPF action while tear gas shelling and aerial firing was on.
Police detained about 17 youth allegedly involved in stone pelting.
“We have constituted an inquiry committee headed by a senior police official and we will go deep into the case and in coming days everything would be put before public,” said Senior Superintendent of Police, Showkat Ahmad Malik.
Malik said the police have raided the studio of the accused photographer in presence of a magistrate and seized some vital material and also detained several people for questioning.
“We had already registered a case against the accused photographer, Manzoor Ahmad Keeloo, proprietor Monalisa Studio and today we registered a case of trafficking under Prevention of Immoral trafficking Act against him,” said Malik adding that case FIR No. 231/2010 under Section 292/ 506/385 RPC has been registered.
Malik further added that in the coming days more arrests were expected which can lead to final breakthrough into the case and advised the people to maintain calm and let law take its own course.
On Thursday, after the news of Manzoor Ahmad Keeloo, a leading local businessmen, in objectionable position with some girls surfaced, the people took to streets and attacked photo studio of the accused. Later, the accused was arrested and a case of ‘indecent exposure and Misuse of Information Act’ was registered against him.
Police had on Wednesday detained one Arshad Sofi (Hagroo) of Khanabal on the charges on the charges of black-mailing the accused photographer and is in search of his co-accused Shahnawaz Basra of Naibasti, who is still absconding. Though, the case of extortion has already been lodged against both of them, but the family had alleged that Arshad was picked up by Territorial Army men, kept under illegal detention for 24 hours, tortured and later handed him over to police for possession of objectionable material involving the photographer.
“The photographer is a highly influential person and very close to Territorial Army,” the family and locals had alleged.
They further alleged that the police was not producing a copy of pornographic clip they recovered from Arshad and was only relying on some obscene pictures of the accused with the girls.
After Friday prayers a procession was taken out from Jamia Masjid and Rehat-Ded Masjid led by Mirwaiz Qazi Yasir and Maulana Mubarak Ahmad against the moral waywardness in the society and the racket.
Maulana Mubarak stressed on the law enforcement agencies to punish the culprits.
Qazi Yasir announced that a local committee consisting of Imams, traders and some respectable citizens would be constituted which would initiate its own investigation into the case.
“We don’t have faith in the system as it is the State which is patronizing the culture of immorality in our society under a conspiracy. So we have decided to launch an inquiry on our own,” said Yasir.
The Bar Association Islambad has also decided to launch its own fact-finding committee.
“If we feel the police is shielding the culprits we would come up with our fact-finding report so that the real culprits are exposed,” said President Bar Association, Fayaz Ahmad Saudagar.