A policeman was among two persons who were electrocuted to death Tuesday when a transformer developed a snag sending double-phase supply into the homes in Chunga Charun village here.
Six others were wounded in the incident.
Residents told Greater Kashmir that the incident took place around 2am when government issued power transformer installed in the village developed a technical snag and power supply in entire village shot to double-phase at 440 volts.
“Our power wiring caught fire, all appliances stopped working and creating a lot of noise,” said a resident, adding that residents rushed out of their homes to save their lives.
Many tried to remove power connections to their houses from poles to prevent short circuit and fire, the resident said.
They said two persons died due to electrocution as they tried removing supply connections to homes.
Block medical officer Mendhar, Dr. Parvez Ahmed Khan told Greater Kashmir that the two person died on the spot due to electrocution while six others were injured. He informed that out of six injured, five were treated on the spot while remaining one was shifted to government sub district hospital Mendhar for treatment.
The deceased have been identified as 40 years old police personal Fayaz Ahmed, son of Mohammad Sharif and 45 years old Mohammad Shabir, son of Abdul Raheeem both residents of Charoon Chunga village.
Fayaz Ahmed was working as police follower and is survived by four daughters and one son while Shabir was working as a mason.
Sarpanch of the area Mohammad Rafiq said that all the houses in the village were affected by the snag in the 63 KVA power transformer and appliances worth lakhs of rupees were damaged in the incident.
Administration and police official rushed to the village soon after the incident panicked the residents.