Heritage Dak Bunglow constructed by Maharaja Hari Singh was gutted in a devastating fire incident here on Sunday. The Dak Bunglow Banihal was constructed in 1931 and used to act as the resting place of Maharaja and his courtiers during Durbar move.
Officials said that fire broke out from room number 6 which engulfed the whole building within fifteen minutes. Fire spread in the whole building due to wooden paneling and wooden rooftop. All the furniture bedding and costly carpets turned into ashes.
The fire was put off due to the hectic efforts of Fire service department, 12 RR and civil society voluntaries.
Tehsildar Banihal Sayed Farooq while talking to Greater Kashmir said that short circuit led to the fire incident. Police have registered a case in this connection and started investigations.
In a statement MLA Banihal Vikar Rasool Wani expressed grave concern over fire incident. He urged to Governor to reconstruct the new guest house at the same place.