DG Prisons takes stock of damage in Central Jail

Director General Prisons, J&K, Dilbag Singh today morning visited Central Jail premises here to take stock of the damages caused during intervening night of 4th and 5th April by jail inmates.

Inspector General of Police Kashmir Zone, S.P. Pani, SSP Central Jail Srinagar and SP North Zone City Srinagar accompanied the DG Prisons

Photo: Greater Kashmir

“As per the preliminary verifications the jail authorities were carrying out routine repair and renovations in one of the barracks which was vacated after some of the inmates were shifted to a newly constructed block within the same jail premises.

While the repair work was on late in the evening after the lockup timing the inmates of the nearby barracks forcefully broke open one of the door of the jail barrack and attacked the labourers, workers on work,  jail staff supervising and the staff on night duty causing injuries to them. They snatched their work tools and implements,” police spokesperson said in a statement.

“These inmates turned into a mob and using these implements and tools broke open the doors of some other barracks and collected more inmates who joined them in the unlawful acts resulting to more violence. They then rushed to the kitchen block and set it on fire which spread fire to the other barracks on either side.

All three buildings went up into the flames. They also took out gas cylinders  blasted them near the main entrance and security wall of the jail . In the course of violence they kept on pelting stones,and damaged the security lights ,CCTV cameras, the newly created tin and steel partitions between various blocks. They damaged electric poles supporting cameras and security lights,” the statement said. 

“In the meantime local police station took cognisance and rushed to the spot along with SDPO. DIG, DC SSP and Zonal SP followed. Fire and Emergency responded quickly but even they were not allowed to gain access.

The illegal acts continued till morning despite guided and controlled intervention by all concerned and it could be brought under control only in the morning.  Police has registered a case and investigation started. DGP has constituted a special investigation team in view of the gravity of the situation,”