A house was damaged in a fire incident at Zaindar Mohalla in Downtown on Tuesday evening.
"Apparently fire broke out due to short circuit at 8.20 pm in house of Fazi Begum widow of Muhammad Ramzan at Zaindar Mohalla, resulting in damage to the structure", a spokesman of the fire and emergency services said.
He said the timely action by firemen brought the fire under control and prevented it from spreading to adjacent houses. "One of our fireman, Javid Ahmad Hajam, sustained injuries while dousing the flames. He was later shifted to hospital for treatment," he said.
Deputy Commissioner Srinagar, Dr Syed Abid Rashid Shah, today visited Zaindar Mohalla at Habba Kadal here to assess the damage. The DC lauded the local youth for their major role in helping avert a major disaster. Dr. Shah assured the fire-affected families that proper relief amount will be sanctioned in their favor at the earliest. He also instructed the concerned for immediate provision of urgent relief required by the affected.
"The locals appreciated Dr. Shah for what they said was a first time in years a DC has visited the area to personally assess the damage from a fire incident there," an official statement said.