With Warm Greetings,
Respected Syed Mohammad Altaf Bukhari, Hon'ble Minister for Education, J&K, and Dr Asghar Hassan Samoon, Principal Secretary to the Government, Higher Education Department, J&K).
I, in the capacity of a faculty member Higher Education Department, J&K, and as a researcher, would like to bring to your notice the following ideas, that might prove helpful in improving the academics.
1) Though it is great that HED has started the journal JK Knowledge Initiative—Higher Education Journal but it is not academically fit to bring, and cover, all sciences in just one journal. The best alternative is that two Journals be published quarterly by HED: one covering Physical Sciences and another including Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences.
2) That a strong Editorial Board be constituted for both, comprising reputed Scholars of the respective subjects, as well as Faculty Members of HED having a strong publication record.
3) That instructions be given to all College Principals for celebrating all the Special Days (like National Education Day, Science Day, Teachers Day, etc.) by organising some special lectures, highlighting the importance and relevance of that specific day.
4) That a course on "Reading and Writing Skills" be a must component of curricula for every student (in Semester-1 preferably), irrespective of the stream/combination, so that they may learn the proper rules, methods and techniques of reading and writing.
5) That the College Principals be instructed to encourage the various Departments/ Faculty for organising Seminars, Conferences, Workshops and other such activities on relevant and timely themes in the colleges—which will benefit both the student and teachers.
6) That Faculty members be encouraged to participate in conferences and seminars at national and international levels. But, as permission from the respected commissioner is required for participation in the international conferences, so it is suggested that an email be created exclusively for attaining the permission for the same by HED.
7) That all College Principals be advised to submit Academic Profile of the faculty members after every six months so that to keep a vigil on the academic performances of the faculty members.
8) That steps be taken to announce Best Researcher of the Year in Science, Social Science, Arts, Commerce, etc. among the faculty members so that they devote more time to research that will boost their research potential.
9) That initiative be taken for establishing a Research Institute (HED's Research Centre for Humanities and Social Sciences) in the Cluster Universities wherein research is carried out by outstanding social scientists, providing an opportunity to the College APs for carrying out research work.
Though there are many other ways and methods to improve quality, but these are some of the submissions and I hope that you find them valuable. All these ideas (except the creation/ establishing of Research Centre) can be implemented with immediate effect.
I am sure that you find these submissions, proposals and ideas, worthy and valuable—and a way forward to excel more in academics.
Thanking you in anticipation
Dr Tauseef Ahmad Parray is Asstt. Prof. Islamic Studies at GDC Pulwama. Views Expressed Are Personal.