Day 136: Kashmir shuts again
File Photo

Day 136: Kashmir shuts again

After two days of relaxation, Kashmir Monday observed shutdown again on the call of joint resistance leadership.

After two days of relaxation, Kashmir Monday observed shutdown again on the call of joint resistance leadership.

Most of the shops and business establishments remained shut. In Lal Chowk Srinagar, vendors set up stalls and were selling winter stuff while private and some public transport could be seen plying. Educational institutions remained closed. 

Kashmir remained abuzz on Saturday and Sunday on the full-day relaxation call announced by the joint resistance leadership.

However, in some areas on Monday, shops remained open for entire day which included Sanatnagar, Pandrethan, Sonwar and Athwajan in uptown. Reports from old Srinagar said that complete shutdown was observed while as few vendors could be seen selling fruit and winter clothes.

Reports said that inter-district cabs plied normally and there were traffic jams at various points which include Pantha Chowk on Srinagar-Jammu highway and HMT-Narbal on Srinagar-Baramulla highway. 

Late evening reports said that unknown persons hurled stones at vehicles on Wanabal-Rangreth road near Railway bridge.

Reports from various district headquarters said that shops remained closed while private and public transport plied. Reports said that in Tral area of Pulwama district of South Kashmir, youth took to streets and started hurling stones at private vehicles for plying during strike. 

Earlier, JKLF chief Muhammad Yasin Malik addressed gathering at main chowk Tral. Soon after Malik left the place, youth stoned private vehicles for defying strike call. Reports said that more than a dozen private vehicles and bikes were damaged by the agitated youth. "Youth pelted stones on the vehicles smashing their windowpanes. They also damaged motor-cycles. Besides, Jammu Kashmir Bank building was attacked with stones and its windowpanes were smashed," they said.

Meanwhile, reports from north Kashmir's Bandipora district said that clashes erupted in Gulshan Chowk area between government forces and youth. Witnesses said that a police vehicle had slipped into a drain near Gulshan Chowk and in the meantime some youths attacked the vehicle by hurling stones on it. They said that police personnel inside the vehicle fired some shots in air to disperse the youth, triggering clashes. Youth, according to witnesses, hurled stones and bricks at the forces who responded by firing teargas and sound shells to disperse them. There were no reports of any injuries.

Related Stories

No stories found.
Greater Kashmir