Cops retaliated to foil weapon snatching bid: IGP

Cops retaliated to foil weapon snatching bid: IGP
IGP Kashmir, Vijay Kumar while he pays tribute to the slain policeman, who was injured in Monday's attack and later succumbed on Tuesday. Mubashir Khan/ GK

Srinagar: Inspector General of Police, Kashmir zone, Vijay Kumar said on Tuesday that the attack on the police bus on Monday evening was pre planned and those behind the killings are being tracked down.

“It was a planned attack by two foreign terrorists and one local terrorist. Three police personnel have lost their lives in this attack. One terrorist who managed to flee will be caught and the group will be neutralised soon,” IGP told reporters on sidelines of wreath laying ceremony of Constable Rameez Ahmad.

Kumar along and other police officer paid their tributes to constable Rameez Ahmad, who lost his life after Monday’s militant attack.

Rameez succumbed to his critical injuries at Army’s 92 Base Hospital on Tuesday morning. Last evening, two cops, ASI Ghulam Hassan and Constables Shafeeq Ali died while, 11 others are undergoing treatment.

“The bus carrying 25 policemen was returning to the camp, as per routine, when three terrorists of Jaish‐e‐Mohammad opened fire on the vehicle,” the IGP said adding that militants are likely to have conducted a recce and noticed that that the bus was returning back every day in routine with the cops after completion of their duty.

The Kashmir police chief said that militants tried to decamp with weapons. “Our men retaliated effectively and foiled the bid,” he said adding that the police have got enough inputs on the group responsible for Monday’s attack. “We will neutralise this group very soon,” Kumar said.

“One of the terrorists was injured in the retaliatory fire and blood trail could be seen for quite some distance. They escaped towards Khrew. We are working on it, “ he said. Kumar said that militants took advantage of darkness as the road leading to the police camp at Zewan was not well lit and the road opening party of security forces had left for the day.

IGP Kashmir said that all precautionary measures were being taken now, including installation of lights on the road. During the wreath laying ceremony ADGP Armed, Javid Gillani, DIG central Kashmir, SSP Srinagar and senior officers of paramilitary were also present.

Greater Kashmir