Govt-protesting power employees’ parleys continue

Govt-protesting power employees’ parleys continue
The electricity has been affected across Jammu and Kashmir as the employees of Power Department have called a strike against administration's move to privatize the energy section of the region.File/ GK

Jammu: Hectic parleys between the protesting power employees and the government continued till late Monday evening however the breakthrough remained elusive

Additional Director General of Police (ADGP) Jammu zone Mukesh Singh, Divisional Commissioner Jammu Dr Raghav Langer and MD JPDCL represented the government in talks, which were underway with the protesting employees till this report was being filed at around 9.45 pm this evening.

“We’re yet in the middle of talks. So far we have not received any concrete proposal, at least as of now,” convener Power Employees and Engineers Coordination Committee Sachin Tickoo told Greater Kashmir.

What is the major irritant in negotiations, have they (government side) come with the same proposal, responding to this query, Tickoo said, “Nothing has been shared with us. We’re waiting for them to reveal their (new) proposal. Talks are still underway. From our side, things are positive as we want to end this logjam but in a very win-win situation.”

“See, the employees also have very genuine grievances. That’s why we took this mode of agitation and the people have to face this blackout due to the work boycott call. However, as of now, I can say just this much that the talks are going in a positive way and the government is also in the negotiating mode. But at the moment I cannot predict which direction the talks will go,” he said. On Sunday evening, the government had deployed specialised teams of Military Engineering Services (MES) on a number of power receiving stations across the Jammu zone. Army and police personnel were also deployed in adequate numbers to prevent any attempt to create hindrance in the restoration measures.

While power was restored in many localities of Jammu, there were still many areas reeling under darkness for the third consecutive day.

In New Delhi, this evening Union Power Minister R K Singh, while speaking to media, had stated, “There is minor impact at a few places, but by and large, things are normal. In Jammu, only 15-20 percent of feeders are affected. Talks are on with employees to know their grievances and demands.” MD JPDCL on Sunday had stated that 55 percent of power was restored in Jammu division and the department was working to restore the remaining 45 percent. “The technical groups of our partner are working with us and also provide training to manpower of the army to restore all feeders,” MD had said in the press conference addressed by Div Com and ADGP last evening.

Greater Kashmir
www.greaterkashmir.com