SOPORE SHOOTOUT | Police say 2 attackers identified
Srinagar, June 13: Day after two policemen and two civilians were killed in north Kashmir’s Sopore town in a shootout, security forces launched a massive hunt in the area to track down the attackers. Police said that two local militants involved in the attack have been identified.
Two civilians and two policemen had been killed while three policemen including a sub-inspector and a civilian injured when militants attacked police and paramilitary CRPF in Main Chowk, Sopore around Saturday noon.
"Two local militants involved in the attack have been identified," Inspector General of Police, Kashmir, Vijay Kumar told Greater Kashmir. "J&K police and security forces are on job and they will be tracked down at an earliest."
Proactive operations have been launched, mainly in Sopore and its adjoining areas to track down the attackers, officials said.
Official sources said that some suspects have been rounded up. They said since Saturday afternoon cordon and search operations were carried out at Zaingair, Nowpora Kalan, Dangerpora and Sopore town. "The CASOs are being carried out at suspected places by joint teams of police, army and security forces," officials said.
Meanwhile, sources said life was normal in Sopore on Sunday. "Corona Curfew remained imposed in the town, otherwise it was normal," officials said.
It needs to be mentioned here that in the aftermath of the attack, SHO Sopore was transferred last evening. "Deployment in the town and other areas has been aligned," officials said.