CUK students allege harassment

The students of central university of Kashmir who reside in the boys hostel of the varsity in Ganderbal on Thursday said the personnel of Jammu and Kashmir Police late Wednesday night entered into the hostel and harassed the inmates.

The hostellers said that the forces suddenly entered the hostel at around 11 p.m. and started searching every room and started thrashing students in which one of the hostellers was injured who had to be hospitalised.

Police said that no thrashing took place.

SSP Ganderbal, Khalil Ahmed Poswal, told Greater Kashmir that there was some “suspicious movement in the hostel area and after taking permission from the assistant warden the police team went inside the hostel to conduct searches.”

“However the students objected and raised slogans,” he said. “During a naka checking a car fled the naka and it stopped near the hostel entrance from which two persons went towards hostel. There was no incident of thrashing.”

Vice-Chancellor Prof. Mehraj ud din said, “It is very unfortunate incident. The students complained that forces personnel thrashed students and ransacked the hostel and one of the students has also sustained injuries.”

“I have taken up the matter with the higher authorities in civil and police administration, no such incident should be repeated in future,” the VC said.

President Jammu and Kashmir People’s Movement Shah Faesal has condemned the incident.

“I have been getting countless distress calls from the University, and the scholars are extremely enraged. This is not the way to enter academic institutions, even if for an investigation purpose. IGP Kashmir should immediately look into this issue and take the culprit personnel to task,” he posted on his Facebook page. 

“In response to my update, a senior police officer informed me that some suspects were being chased by the forces and it was in this connection that forces entered the University premises. As per the police officer, there was no thrashing incident. However, he regretted that this incident was avoidable and won’t be repeated. I am placing both sides of the story in public domain with the hope that such incidents won’t be repeated in future,” Faesal posted later.